Cast Iron Chicken and Veggie with Garlic Sauce
Lately we have been on a huge cast iron kick – Everything comes out delicious, usually can cook everything in just the cast iron which makes for easier clean up.
Last night we had probably one of my favorite dishes yet. This scrumptious chicken with a garlic sauce. We added zucchini at the end when it was time to bake. You could easily add broccoli or squash as an alternative.
We had this as is, but there would be enough sauce and would be great with some rice, pasta, gnocchi or dip some bread in.
- 1.25 to 1.5 lbs of boneless skinless chicken, beaten
- 1 shallot, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 zucchini, or veggie or choice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, if you like a little spice
- cracked pepper or peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Rinse and remove any fat off chicken, pat dry.
- Salt and pepper each side.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
- Remove chicken and set aside on a plate.
- Add the shallots to the skillet. Cook until they are soft and translucent.
- Stir in the chicken broth, cream, butter, garlic and cayenne powder. Scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan to help season your sauce.
- Bring sauce to a simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Turn off burner and stir in zucchini and Italian parsley.
- Add juice to your liking. (About half a lemon with have a more garlicky flavor and the whole lemon will be more of a balance of both.)
- Add in the chicken and toss to coat with sauce.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and cook for 8-12 minutes until chicken is done.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes and serve!
If you liked this recipe make sure you share it with others and leave your comments below : )
Note to self: take more pictures next time!